Thursday, May 10, 2007
To Hell in a Handbasket
Anyone ever take the time to look at where your baby's clothes are made? Me neither until this week.

It all started with this pet-food nonsense. We weren't affected, so I didn't pay much attention until I heard the word "melamine". Ah, melamine. The stuff my plastic, multi-colored college dishes were made of. You can find dishes and cups made of melamine just about anywhere.

Now you can find it in your pet's canned food, too! Or, if you prefer your melamine with fins and scales, you can eat some farmed fish who were fed "wheat" and "rice" gluten containing melamine. You see, some dumbass in China (or a lot of dumbasses judging by how this melamine problem seems to be snaking into different areas of the food chain) tried to fake out various clients by adding melamine to their "wheat" and "rice" gluten to make the protein level seem higher. Everyone wants more protein, right? Carbs=fat, protein=lean (or so the media has pounded into our brains), so more protein is good, right? Yeah. Unless it's really PLASTIC!

Oh my goodness...

Then, my mother called me in a panic about wooden toys containing lead paint originating from guess where? You got it - the People's Republic of China!

This brings me back to my original question: anyone ever look at the labels on their kids' clothing? Today, as an experiment, I separated the Hippos dirty laundry by country of origin. The results:
1 outfit from Thailand
1 t-shirt from Guatemala
A whole shitload of clothes Hecho in China

They were new. They smelled VERY chemically. I pointed this out to Papa M. He said he'd just wash the shit out of them. That will probably get rid of the smell, but will the toxic dye they used still seep into the Hippo's mouth when he chews on the strap of his bib overalls or on the string from his hoodie? I'm skeptical.

If the great Chinese empire wants to stay on the fast track to hell in a handbasket, the least they can do is keep all their crappy shit with them.

More on why modern China sucks another time.
posted by Mama K @ 10:28 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Mama K
Home:
About Me:
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Shoutbox
Links
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER