Thursday, April 19, 2007
To cry or not to cry?
Papa M and I really try to respect the Hippo as a human being. Really. I tell him "cold" before wiping his nether regions with a baby wipe. If he's sleeping and I need to move him (off my lap because my foot's falling asleep, for example), I whisper to him what's going to happen. When he cries or vocalizes, I try to get a gut feeling about what he's telling me. We cosleep and don't plan on "sleep training" - the hot topic at our M&M (Mom and Me) group right now. If he cries we try to respond right away.

Yet, today we were out most of the morning - first for a long walk and then running errands. On the way to the last errand, the Hippo let me know that he was hungry by loudly crying from his carseat. This errand took us to a lovely lake and park so I figured I'd feed him when I got there. I told him the plan and he cried. I could've pulled over and fed him by the side of the road, but I was having visions of the sun on our faces as we breasfed next to the water gently lapping the shore so I drove on. As we drew closer, I felt more and more guilty. I mean, we don't let him cry this much any other time, so why was I bent on getting where I want to be? I don't have an answer. Am I placing my convenience before his comfort or am I making a legitimate choice to do something I will enjoy?

I think I should've stopped to nurse him. Parenting is a steep learning curve. Hopefully this poor kid (and his mom) will survive.
posted by Mama K @ 5:48 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Mama K
Home:
About Me:
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Shoutbox
Links
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER